Environmental education campaign on waste and recycling
Campaign manager: Isabelle Blum, Switzerland
Cooperation partners: Kali Ma, Quasan Shrestha, Dolalghat; Social Club Dolalghat, Nepal
Campaign content: Environmental education and workshops on littering, waste management and clean environment
Target group: local population (adults, children) and Social Club in Dolalghat, Nepal
Period: 14 days, March 2014
Place: Dolalghat, Nepal
In 2011 I did the Annapurna Circuit Trek with a friend, a very popular 3-week round trip in the heart of the Himalayas. I was enchanted by the beautiful landscapes, the warm people and the magic Himalaya. But the garbage lying around everywhere made me think. As an educated environmental scientist this situation grabbed me. I wanted to do something and pass on my knowledge about environmental protection and waste management.
Through internet research I came across the Kali Ma Foundation Nepal e.V. in Dolalghat, Nepal. Kali Ma, the founder, had already taken first steps in the field of waste disposal. The first visit followed in spring 2013. Kali Ma, her colleague Quasan Shrestha and I decided quite quickly to do something about littering in Dolalghat. One year later we started our campaign Saphaa Dolalghat – Clean Dolalghat.
In March 2014 I conducted the environmental education campaign Saphaa Dolalghat – Clean Dolalghat in Nepal for two weeks in cooperation with Kali Ma, Quasan Shrestha and the local Social Club.
- Various information events
- Clean Up Days
- Demonstration of the students and members of the Social Club through the village
- Film screenings
- Workshops on littering, waste separation and clean water
- Raising awareness of waste and environmental protection in the population of Dolalghat
- Educating people about the problems of littering, careless waste disposal and the benefits of recycling
- Initiating local waste collection and disposal
- Creating jobs for waste collectors
The campaign was funded by private sponsors and the Kali Ma Foundation.
Many thanks to all who supported the campaign.